Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Week 2 day 1

    The group has finally been decided. I am working with two of my classmates who have shown me their passion for the project. Today was the first talk we had about our ideas as a group. We went over the different types of genres we had in mind and the different strategies that we could use in order to portray the genres. In class, we watched an informative Ted Talk where we went over how to hook an audience and how it worked in movies such as Nemo and Toy Story. Two key lessons attracted me, the first being the idea that the audience wants to work for the answer to the problem of the movie, but they don't want to know they are working for it. The second lesson I was interested in was that you have to make a promise to the audience that the story will lead somewhere that's worth your time. I used these ideas in order to think of the different genres that I felt would follow these rules best.

    Personally, I looked into the idea of an action movie first. I thought of a teen-age Super Hero movie with a twist of comedy. I felt like this idea could demonstrate both rules. The problem is that the group needs a strong foundation that would work for all of us snd this idea didn't fit the foundation. I really enjoyed the aspect of having a comedic side to the film but the Super Hero side just seemed too basic and cliche. Usually, when someone thinks of "fiction" they think of some type of Super Hero movie and I want to be different. Another problem with the idea is that in order to make a Super Hero film we would want very well done elaborated special effects, and they seem too costly. Although it has some downsides I'm not one to back down from a challenge, but I thought to myself, if I focus too much on the special effects it would affect the focus and elaboration of the film I want to create. With those ideas in mind, I kept researching different topics. I was really hooked on the comedic aspect because I feel like i8t would work out very well. 

    After some research, my group and I discussed the genres, and one that stood out well was horror. Horror seemed like a great option but there were some doubts in my mind. the idea we had for the film opening was to make it a horror film with a comedy twist. One of the doubts with that idea is that we don't want it to end up completely replicating "Scary Movie" which is a film that uses some of the aspects that we were thinking of. The group was brainstorming to take a different approach to the film. Now that we have a genre that interests us we can start thinking of ways to best represent the genre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Product!

 Thanks for watching my journey, this is the final version of my music film opening! YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5_hKAWVZRo